maps of Lipari
It is the largest of the Aeolian archipelago’s islands, having a 37.6 km square area, and it is 24 nautical miles far from the Sicilian coast. Its inhabitants, called Liparesi or Liparoti, are approximately 8980 in number, and are located in the town of Lipari as well as in the small villages of the island: Canneto, Acquacalda, Quattropani and Pianoconte. With the exception of Salina, all the other islands depend on Lipari administratively.
The eruptive activity restarted after a long pause on the north-east side with the explosion of enormous quantities of pumice which formed Monte Pelato, and with the emission of the obsidian fall of Rocche Rosse (1200 years ago). Even during the historic era, pumice eruptions covered the Roman remains of Contrada Diana and Lipari Acropolis in the Ivth and Vth century A.D.